Sunday, February 15, 2009

To Write, Or Not To Write?

So I have this dilemma. In case you haven't noticed, I love to tell stories. If I let myself get too out of control, I'd never blog about real life at all, and all you'd ever get would be craziness from my past. I have, however, a little self-control I keep stashed somewhere, so this blog does (barely) manage to stay rooted in the present.

But there's this story I'd just love to tell. Only it's more like a saga. And every time someone else goes down this road (like Melissa just did in her typical hilarious fashion), I think, "I want to do that!" But then I don't, because I would seriously be dragging you along for like ten posts. At least.

And what is this story? What else - the story of Rusty and Jenny. The tale of Us. The tale of me and my yes-I-like-you-maybe-love-you-but-we-aren't-dating-and-we'll-probably-never-see-each-other-again's, and him and his I-know-we'll-get-married-and-I'm-the-most-patient-nonpushy-man-on-the-planet's.

It has serious novel potential. And I've always wanted to put it down, but it would take me FOREVER!!! You have no idea what a nightmare I was to try to get engaged to. And then he had to take back the ring. For my sanity. Apparently, no one can drag out a relationship like I can drag out a relationship. Good thing he married me so I couldn't do it to some other poor guy.

Anyway, so here I am with my dilemma. Sometimes I think, "I don't have to tell the whole story, I'll just tell that one part." But then I realize that wouldn't work. Once I got started, I would feel COMPELLED to finish. So then I think, "I know, I'll just start a separate blog just for that one story." The problem with this solution is that then I'd spend the next six months (okay, maybe it wouldn't take that long) being obsessed by my Rusty/Jenny love story, and I'd totally neglect this blog.

*Sigh*

There is no perfect answer. Maybe I should just start with the story of how we met. That's not overly cliff-hanger-ish, I could maybe handle that. And it was kind of funny...

18 comments:

Jen said...

TELL IT! After a teaser like that, you HAVE to!

And FWIW, my husband and I have a similar saga that spans almost a decade and involves a returned engagement ring (on TWO occasions!) So I would REVEL in hearing yours.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I say bring it on. Who says we all wouldn't love to read six months of posts about how you finally made it to the altar. I know I would eat that stuff up. So go for it. Don't start another blog, that would require extra button pushing on my part.

J. Baxter said...

Jen - Wow. Almost a decade! That must be some story.

(And what the heck does FWIW mean??? Someone please help me, because my brain is in overdrive trying to figure this out!)

And Pat - seriously? You think you'd be up for it? Hmmm, I'll have to keep thinking...

LisAway said...

I started mine thinking it would be a couple of posts and it turned into 6. And that was with me forcing myself to leave out parts.

But it felt really good and nobody complained and people even read it.

I'd like to read yours!

Camille said...

I say post it...we all love a good story. Remember when I wrote about my breast Christmas? Everyone was glued on what would happen next.

Robyn said...

I'd love to hear it too, since I was around you only when you were a member of the VL club at Ricks.

Lost in the Laundry said...

I'd love to hear it (even though I was somewhat there for parts of it). I just love a good tale told only the way you can tell them! So there is this blog I follow and she has told her how I met my husband story in chapter installment randomly throughout her blog. Check it out-it may work for you too. Go to www.thepioneerwoman.com and click on her link called "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels". I think you would enjoy the story.

Barbaloot said...

I think you should tell the whole story---and take as long as you need to do so. You can create a separate blog, and also have Rusty put in his side of the story as well.

That way, when your kids are older---they can have that story to read. Sounds vaguely cheesey---but I really think it would be great.

J. Baxter said...

Angie - I was thinking of doing it kind of like that, and if The Pioneer Woman did it, it must work, right?

Barbaloot - stay tuned...my next post is dedicated to you...

Anonymous said...

"For What It's Worth," I think you should start at the moment of your birth and continue on until tomorrow afternoon. I just love to read what you write!

(And I didn't know what FWIW meant until I just figured it out -- I mean, there's only so many combinations, you know? "Fred Wants Iced Watermelon", or "Fabulous Women In Webland," or here's the best one I could come up with: "Fellonious Wisdom Isn't Worth...it." Okay, so that one really doesn't even make sense, but whatever....)

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I definitely think you should tell the story. Even if it takes several installments/posts. It can actually be one of those series. I love series. And love stories, so please go for it.

Alison Wonderland said...

You may as well do it. It's not like we don't all have days when we think we should blog but we have nothing to blog about, now you'll have something to blog about.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Haha, I'm totally like that! Sometimes I'd just rather blog the past because the present isn't interesting enough!

elesa said...

Here's another vote for WRITE IT!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Not that my opinion matters...but I LOVE me a good story about how two people found each other...I'm going to write mine...SOMETIME...so do yours!!!

Anonymous said...

If you write it, we will read (it).

Cecily said...

I totally want to hear it!!! Hi, I've been blog stalking you for awhile but I'm a bad commenter, sorry!!

melissabastow said...

EEEEEK - you linked to my blog and I'm such a bloggy-brat that I haven't read another blog for weeks and am just now realizing the link. No wonder I got new readers on that post. And now I'm a totally repentant blog reader and promise to NEVER miss another post. So please don't hate me....too much. And also thanks for the link! And one more thing - I would love to hear your 6 month blog posting marraige story. Or you could put it in a book and send it to an LDS publisher and then we could all buy the book and then you could be all famous or something. And possibly rich. That might be the way to go...