Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Funk That Is February (or is it just me?)

February is Funk Month. Blog funk, house cleaning funk, mothering funk, dieting funk - they all seem to hit during the lovely (and somehow eternal) month of February. Four LONG weeks of "WILL IT EVER END????"

I remember about six years ago when I finally noticed the pattern - the one where during the month of February my house turns into a disaster area, and the laundry becomes an overwhelming force in my life. I swear I just did twelve loads, and last night my husband informed me he was out of underwear.

Again.

What is it with February? It's that time of year you sit around thinking, "didn't there used to be something BESIDES television/movies/video games for my children to do?" Because that is seriously all I can think of in the area of kid-activities these days. And I think the kids suffer from Funky February too, because for the last few weeks we have been dealing with an extreme case of boredom. EVERYTHING is boring. Inside, outside, upside, downside, every suggestion is met with "But that's so BOOOORING!"

So then I have them work, because every mom knows chores are the cure for boredom. Really, it works out quite nicely. I'm feeling totally apathetic, un-energetic, and, well, quite frankly BORED with house work - so I make them do it.

Sad, isn't it?

And it isn't just me. I know of about five bloggers who have recently compained of the blog-funk phenomenon. And several who are wondering where in the world the commenters have gone to. (Which begs the question - will anyone actually read this post anyway?) Almost every woman I work with has gained weight this month WHILE DIETING. Including me. And just the other day my sister Annie and I were discussing the complete apathy we feel toward the daily-grind that is housework. Bleck to all of it.

And now for the good news: FEBRUARY IS ALMOST OVER!!! And I can already tell. Just yesterday at about 2:30 in the afternoon, I actually had the following conversation with myself as I sat on the couch looking at the mess my two non-schoolers had made of my living room:

Funky Me: Oh good, it's almost time for the boys to come home. I can't wait till they clean this place up.

Non-funky March Me: Hmmm. Something about that just doesn't seem right...

FM: Of COURSE it's right! Right on the money. What are kids for if you can't get them to work a little? What do they think this is, a free ride?

NFMM: Yeah, but shouldn't you be doing something?

FM: I'll make them dinner. Maybe.

NFMM: No, this is wrong. You don't deserve to be called Mother. (All self-righteous, and on her high horse) Your children deserve to come home to a clean house, and YOU should be cleaning it! Now get up and DO something!

And I did. I can actually feel the apathy disappearing with the wretched month of February. Tomorrow, I will no doubt jump out of bed singing the laundry song, as I happily (and energetically) get my children ready for church. It's like a re-birth. Spring is coming, and the malaise of winter is about to end.

I think March may be my new favorite month. Or at least my new not-unfavorite month, which is certainly worth something. Happy Non-Funk Month, everyone! February is G.O.N.E. GONE!!!!!!!!

21 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh thank heaven! I love that we can use February as a scapegoat like this. Happy March!

annie valentine said...

I love the way you talk to yourself. And everybody else. Do people realize Funky Me is dominant?

evitafjord said...

March has all kinds of promise - Spring Break, better weather (here at least), okay that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more. We're celebrating today by cleaning the gigantic disaster that is (was! we're almost done) my girls' room. I pre-bribed them by letting them each pick out something to decorate with when we're done, which I hope comes across less bribey since it is a direct reward (if your room is clean, then we are able to decorate it.) Or something like that. Good riddance February!!

McFarland Family said...

I sure hope you're right!

Kelly said...

It's SO nice to have the excuse of morning/allday sickness to excuse the February Funk. Also very nice to be 9 months pregnant...I used that one the year Kelsi was born. Totally CHECKED OUT for all of February that year.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

February is funky! Totally agree. And it's OVVVVVVER!!!!!! WAHOO!!! Is March going to be better though?? Personally, I'm really happy for April!!!

Barbaloot said...

February is a horrid month...but it's March that I dread. It's SO long, there are no holidays and right as February pretends to get warm March goes back to cold. Yuck.

Kristin said...

I knew there was a reason I went to Smitty's and bought my kids ice cream, washed down with French fries for dinner tonight, oh and of course we had Gilliam sauce. I am not a bad mother after all, you always know how to cheer me up!

Anonymous said...

Even though we still have a little more than three and a half hours left of February, I've already felt the Feb Funk leave. Today, I dusted and vacuumed our master bedroom and cleaned out my craft room (a major disaster area). And while I was doing that, my husband organized our pantry. Without me saying anything.

And for the grand finale, I just might go mop the kitchen floor.

I'm going to wash that February right out of my house. Or something corny like that.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I totally agree that February is a funky month. Maybe because it's the month when winter feels like a guest who has overstayed and worn out it's welcome.

Camille said...

Happy MARCH! Let me be the first one to welcome you to the month of leprauchans! Here's to having a better month lassie, I raise my non-alchoholic, non-caffeineted, non-carbonated, non-fun drink of water to your health!

Robyn said...

Feb was long! Now March will fly by! Winter has been long, can't wait for spring!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Amen Sister!

Stephanie said...

Happy March 1 Jen. And, I did read your post. Hope your day was great and you sang all morning. :)

Anonymous said...

Considering that I almost missed the month of February, and that my children had to make their own valentines' cards from scratch THE NIGHT BEFORE their class parties, I'm not one to talk. At the rate I'm going, I'm probably going to miss March, too, so let's hear it for April!

R Allen said...

February tried desperately to do me in too. But I challenged it to a duel and promptly fell sick with the stomach flu for the last two days. February won.

LisAway said...

How motivational are YOU!?! I'm going to follow you with this. Even if I don't really feel it. I'll force myself to feel it.

I'm off to start laundry and wash dishes!

nikkicrumpet said...

Finally...Blogger must have fixed some of their stupid problems...I've been trying to bring up your posts for three days now and they finally show up! Blogger must be in a February Funk too. But it's March now YIPPEEE...now if it would just stop snowing outside and spring would arrive...all would be well!

Natalie said...

I have had MAJOR spring fever these last several days. Every ounce of sunshine and blue sky that finds it's way through makes me feel like really living, like as an active participant in my life even.

melissabastow said...

I never knew about february funk until now. I think my february must last a LOT longer than normal people....or I'm just really lazy. I'm not sure which one.

elesa said...

Yahooooooo!