Sunday, April 19, 2009

Put On Your Thinking Caps, I Need Your Brain...

So my babysitter Harmony is getting married. This would be the woman who brings her own two children (boys, ages five and three) to my house in the mornings, so that little Miss Two and C can get up at their leisure, and at least be at their own house - if not with their own mother - on the days Grandma is unavailable.

They love her. When I come home, Miss Two clings like a clinging vine (movie anyone?) to Harmony, and will have nothing to do with me. As in, her mother. The one who gave of my own blood and sustenance for nine months to bring her into this world.

The little rat. (Said with great affection, of course)

But aside from the ungrateful aspect of my two year old, just think what this says about my babysitter. One morning I had the audacity to be home, and when I went up to get Miss Two out of her crib (which Harmony does when she's here, since the child sleeps in till nine or ten), I walked in and saw her great big smile turn into a scowl as she yelled at me - "You're not Harny!" (throwing herself back into her bed, and using that whiny-cry-baby voice only a two year old can really master) "I WANT HARNY! NOT YOU!"

Nice. I mean, really it is. If you have to leave your children with someone, you do want them to love their caregiver - although I think MT is overdoing it just a tad...

But anyway, back to the topic at hand. Harmony is getting married. As you may have guessed due to the fact that she already has children, Harmony has been married before. She's been alone for awhile, and has recently found a fabulous guy, and on May 2, they're getting hitched.

And a couple girls and I are throwing her a shower.

Only other than the fact that there will be gifts, we don't want it to be a regular shower. We want it to be a bachelorette/girls night shower. In other words, we want it to different than her just-got-off-the-mission/blushes-at-lingerie shower.

So now I'm turning to all of you super-fun, creative women, because I need some fun (yet clean and appropriate enough for my mother) game ideas. After all, at a bachelorette/girls' night, you can't be making wedding dresses out of toilet paper. This has to be good. (And very unlike the one actual {non-LDS} bachelorette party I attended where they did some rather inappropriate things just before getting wasted on tequila shots. That is NOT what I'm looking for).

So if any of you have any brilliant ideas for me, (or you can't think of anything, but want to console me regarding my daughter's Benedict Arnold tendencies), just leave them in the comment box. Or email me. Or call me (if your privileged enough to have my number). And don't worry, Harmony doesn't read my blog, so there's no need to worry about spoilers.

I'm looking forward to what all you fun ladies will come up with - so don't disappoint me!

13 comments:

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Okay we did a movie theme party one time and everything revolved around movies. Charades with
Movie themes? I know I suck at creativity, but it was much more fun than it sounds!

Camille said...

I just rememebered one that we were going to do for a girl in our ward. Instead of pin the tail on the donkey we were playing plant the kiss on the fiance, which entailed blowing up a picture of fiance, bright red lipstick for the ladies, and a prize for the woman who plants their lips closest to the target.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love a good challenge!

I'm guessing, since she has been married before, that she isn't going to need all the household items that most first time brides need, so I would do a Pampered Shower. Not diapers (although that might be funny), but nails and hair and feet.... and see if you can rope in a Massage Therapist who can come to your home with a portable massage chair and give her a really good rub down. We did this for a baby shower for my friend's fourth child, and it was the best idea I ever had!

Good luck!

H.K. said...

Bring out the Karoake Machine and sing fun songs with the theme of love, "another one bits the dust" is a good song to sing.

Get a disco ball and a smoking machine, I'm sure you can get at a party store.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I don't have any great ideas, but I will certainly be glad to dole out some sympathy. That is terrible, but I am sure it is a passing phase and in a few years the two of you will be thick as theives.

Kritta22 said...

How about a learn to do something party.... cook a special dish, make potholders, make a quilt, figure out your love language.... I know it's getting lamer...

I'll think and if I have a good one, I'll come back!

Camille said...

I'm going to vote for a combo of Sue Q's and H.K's.

melissabastow said...

I think that whatever it is, it should involve some kind of mild embarrassment for the bride to be. Or maybe not so mild embarrassment, because your daughter likes her better, so she deserves it.

How about if you make her wear an old wedding dress (and don't tell me you can't find any - I saw those pictures of Annie modeling one at Savers) and go on a picture scavenger hunt type thing-a-doey. In public, of course.

Kristin said...

Something chocolate, fancy drinks with umbrellas, Make mix-tape, have everyone donate a love song to make a CD, you will need a feather Boa and a tiara for the bride. There is a game called would you rather and you have to choose between two terrible options. You might have to weed out some questions, but it is a great girls night game. Lots of laughs and conversation. Ask yourself, would you rather people thought your husband was ugly, or mean?

J. Baxter said...

Okay Kristin, you're in. And go ahead and start that mix tape, would you? I'll buy the poster for Pin the Kiss on the Fiance.

Let's PARTAAAAY!

Natalie said...

Harmony is getting MARRIED?! I'll call you. ;-) Because I'm priviledged like that...

annie valentine said...

Do an Indiana Jones theme!

Oh wait, that's Harrison's birthday party...

Anony Mouse said...

Oh, Oh, Oh!! I know the movie!! "Like a clinging vine..." came from Two Weeks with Love" I don't have any good ideas yet, but I'll keep working on it...