Friday, April 17, 2009

The First Frightening Signs of What's to Come...

So I had this conversation with my ten year old today:

Me: (looking admiringly at his handsome-cuteness) L, you're a good looking kid.

L: ("Awww shucks" expression)

Me: No, you really are. Do you know you're nice looking?

L: Not really.

(about twenty seconds of silence)

L: Mom, there's something I have to tell you. But I don't know how to say it.

Me: What?

L: Well, it happened a couple of weeks ago.

Me: And...

L: (getting close to my ear and whispering, even though no one was around) This girl asked me out.

Me: What! Who? What's her name? (the hussy, I silently think to myself)

L: Uh, (thinks for a second) I don't know.

Me: Well what did you say?

L: (with an appropriately shocked and horrified look on his face) NO! I said "Sorry, I can't have a girlfriend till I'm sixteen," what do you think I'd say?!

Isn't he a good son? Just look at him -






Any girl would want him.

18 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Scary times, girls these days can be quite hussies.

Good for you and your son.

Stephanie said...

I just wanted to say that "Great mom" oozed out of that post between the lines. Really.

Camille said...

I'm scared for my children. I almost went to the school with a shotgun when Elise told me a boy blew her a kiss in Kindergarten.

J. Baxter said...

Machen - Just get her a wig and some funky mustache glasses, and make them mandatory. That ought to do the trick...

GammaHaynes said...

Oh don't worry to much, even if he would have said yes! At that age they are going out but going no where.

Boy Mom said...

Boys are so dang cute! They love compliments but have no clue what to say/do when they get one.

That's a great mustache for 10. What a cutie! oh sorry, cool looking kid!

LisAway said...

Scary! I know, having good looking kids is great until other kids start to notice. :)

Kelly said...

So funny, the same thing happened to Brody for the first time at church a few weeks ago. Only this girl told him she loved him best and told the teacher she liked him-'want to kiss him' liked him. Scary or what?! You'll probably see it on my blog soon-I was thinking that was a good story for sometime!

wendy said...

I love those "conversations" with the kids. Now I get to have them with my grandkids. Keep those doors to conversation OPEN and you will be a real asset to your kids.
and by the way --he's hot

annie valentine said...

He looks about thirty in this picture. If I were that girl's mom I think I'd be really worried...

Barbaloot said...

Good for him and the 16-year-old-answer! :)

Natalie said...

Hmmm... Anyone I know? ;-)

Lane actually does have a "girlfriend" already and reading this I realized that I probably shouldn't allow it yet. They're so sweet though. They just walk to class together and sit together in the lunch room and she always punches him on the shoulder to say good-bye. It's sort off cute.

Kristin said...

So I get it, you are the kind of mom who pulls out the naked baby pictures, awkward 6th grade mug shot and regales the date with embarrassing stories. I dated one of those once and not for long, so you can probably stick with that method if you want a single 30-year-old in your basement.

Alison Wonderland said...

Well, who can blame the hussy with a hottie like him around?

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh dear oh dear...I need to have a talkin' with my girlsies! What a cute picture!

R Allen said...

Glad the child had the peace of mind to answer correctly. I think if this happened to beautiful 10 year old boy, he would run away screaming...

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I love what his answer was...I'm afraid my son wouldn't have turned him down! :)

* said...

yep, I agree! And honest to boot!