Friday, April 24, 2009

Chocolate--the true cure-all

I just want to say that chocolate really does make you feel better. Truly. Here's my proof:

As you all already know, I am a substitute teacher. High school being the grade level of choice. I'm actually here at work right now, as a matter of fact. I generally work two to five days a week, depending on how bad I need work, and what's available. Currently, my husband is going on week five of being laid off, and the need is high. As in, I-MUST-WORK-AS-MUCH-AS-POSSIBLE high.

But this is a rotten time of year for subbing. There's a week of state testing, then Spring Break, then another week of state testing. This translates into very few sub jobs. So the few that I've managed to get this month - all whopping seven of them - I'm extremely grateful for.

So you'd think I'd have remembered that I was supposed to work this morning. That I'd have written it down somewhere. That I wouldn't be my totally irresponsible, scatter-brained self, and COMPLETELY FORGET THAT I WAS SUPPOSED TO GO MAKE MONEY!

Especially since two days ago our brakes and alternator on the family wagon decided to fail simultaneously. To the tune of over five hundred dollars.

Alas and alack, however, I managed to space it. In my defense, she did schedule me for these days way back in January or February, and I wasn't at home by my calendar when she called. (I know this, because as soon as I got the where-the-heck-are-you call this morning, like a sudden flash it all came back to me). And I will say that in eight years, this is only my third offense. And it was much better than the first time, when I'd taken a call at another high school that morning and was actually working somewhere else. It was even better than the second time, when I was relaxing in the tub when she called. This morning, I was simply changing into my workout clothes, getting ready to sweat away the pounds.

Thankfully I wasn't already sweaty, because it wasn't like I had time for a shower. Heck, I didn't even brush my hair (unless running my fingers through it counts). I grabbed the first pants and shirt I saw lying on the floor of my room, and proceeded to put the world in danger as I applied make-up whilst speeding down the road on the five minute drive to work.

Now, back to chocolate and it's therapeutic properties.

I think I'm stressed. I don't feel stressed - actually I feel just fine. But apparently I'm not. I know this because when I went crawling in to the office to beg forgiveness, I started crying. It was supposed to be one of those ha-ha-at-least-I-wasn't-bathing-or-working-somewhere-else conversations, where we all sit around an mock my ability to function like a responsible adult, but instead I sat down in a chair and felt that awful oh-my-gosh-I'm-going-to-start-crying-and-I-can-do-nothing-about-it feeling. And then I cried.

On the up-side, it definitely got me forgiven. On the down-side, it was like a little glimpse into the inter-workings of my soul, and I can no longer pretend that I'm perfectly alright, and completely non-stressed. Frankly, I suddenly felt rather horrid.

And then the other secretary offered me chocolate. Well, actually, I asked if I could help myself to her candy jar - sensing that sugar was a vital need at the moment - and she offered me some of her personal stash. The wonderful angel gave me TWO Lindor's Truffles. And as I popped the first one into my mouth and tasted all that nice, sweet, creamy chocolate - I FELT INSTANTLY BETTER! Truly, I did. It was actually kind of amazing.

So my tip for the day, is to make sure there's some kind of really good chocolate in your emergency supplies, because in the wake of some disaster, you just might need the feel-good boost that comes with good chocolate.

Do you think she'd give me one more if I went back down and begged?

26 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm just laughing because this is NOT the first time that you've blogged about the effectiveness of chocolate. That said, I'm also really glad that you've found something that works for you since who wants to feel horrible? I've had similiar "I feel fine, but all of a sudden there are tears, where are they coming from? Maybe I'm not as okay as I think I am" scenarios and I truly HATE that feeling actually. If a chocolate fix is your cure, go for it!

Camille said...

I think a chocolate dipped Hugh Jackman would be the cure for all that ails you.

Stephanie said...

Those Lindor truffles are *magical*!

Barbaloot said...

Isn't it the worst when your "straw that breaks the camel's back and you start crying moment" happens in public? I'm sorry---but I'm glad you got chocolate!!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I totally agree about the need for chocolate in the emergency preparedness department. It seems as though life is becoming an emergency all the time and it is not going to take a national disaster. Or perhaps todays economy would qualify as a national disaster.

Big virtual hug. Hope your weekend is great.

Oh and denial is my favorite stage of grieving. Perhaps you are grieving from your husbands job loss and you just don't know it yet.

annie valentine said...

Hugh Jackman dipped in chocolate? Camille, you are a freaking genius.

H.K. said...

It is amazing the soothing effects come from chocolate. And then there's Rocky Road ice cream,. lemon meringue pie, cheesecake, mudd pie...

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hee hee I loved this post. How hilarious that you forgot.

And I love Annie's new profile pic.

nikkicrumpet said...

So sorry for the stress you're feeling...but I'm glad you discovered the healing power of chocolate. I've known about it for years....trouble is I make sure I'm stressed about a dozen times a day. Which would explain the size of my chocolate created body!

J. Baxter said...

Lemon meringue pie??? Cheesecake??? I think this is a dangerous road...

* said...

Chocolate is a lovely thing, esp Lindt, Sees or Godiva. And a chocolate chip waffle is even better.

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey. Now I feel really bad.

I FINALLY sent off your little surprise this afternoon, and the reason why it's taken me so long to get it off in the mail is because I've been debating whether or not I should throw in some...(gulp).... chocolate goodies.

And I finally decided.....not to.

Because of the whole getting in shape thing...I thought that it would be too much of a temptation to send you a pile of mouth-watering truffles that you would have to hold in your very own hands, and I was afraid that the consequences of such an experience would send you over the edge, thus resulting in your not appreciating the little surprise in the first place.

Whatever. I should have just sent the darn chocs.

Hang in there -- these are tough times, and I wish your husband the best in his hunt for permanent employment!

Robyn said...

I hear You! It has been a long, trying week, so today I had a midnight truffle blizzard. Chocolate truffle in chocolate ice cream. It was delicious and yes, I felt better, too. PS. it is DQ's blizzard of the week, on special you know. That is how I justified it-you can't pass up a sale!

J. Baxter said...

Sue - Don't fret, you made the right decision. I would have downed them all in a matter of minutes, and then hated myself for it - while still loving you for making it all possible.

Robyn - All I can say is that it's a good thing the nearest DQ is twenty miles away, or I'd be on my way to get a Choco Xtreme Blizzard (brownie chunks, chocolate shavings, and chocolate powder in vanilla ice cream) which is my all time favorite ice-cream treat.

Whitney Seaberg said...

When we drove by magic auto (or at least I think that was the one) Jeremy thought he saw your family wagon up there..but Jeremy said he also thought he saw You, Rusty and the kids outside. So I guess he was right. When it rains it pours, right? Hope the sun comes out soon!

J. Baxter said...

Amen, sister.

LisAway said...

Well, they say eating chocolate releases the same whatevers (endorphins?) that hugging someone does. And what's more comforting than a hug? (I mean besides a Lindor truffle)

GammaHaynes said...

Yes I totally agree.Thats why I'm addicted to starbucks hotcocoa.

Stephanie said...

So I don't usually read all the comments (only because they aren't to me and it usually bores me), but had I not read yours today, I wouldn't have learned about the yummy DQ blizzard. We have a DQ just a few miles from us, literally, I could jog there and burn off the calories on the way home, right? Hope you are feeling a little less stressed.

Melanie Millett said...

Oh those cursed tears of repressed stress. I hate them. But usually I end up crying in front of my husband, who never has chocolate, so then I am forced to get mad and scream, "Shut up- I'm NOT CRYING!!" And then I make him go to the store and get me the biggest bag of M&M's he can find.

(This may or may not have happened last night.)

{jane} said...

Jenny~a question about your Ads by google, I went private on my blog this week because my husband was bugged and done with the "anonymous" comments I get, but I am considering undoing the choice and adding "AdSense" google ads, will you email me -again... jane{at}prolook{dot}com and give me an idea how much you make off your ads... it might motivate me. thank you! and, I could use the potty-training advice. :)

Kristin said...

one important thing to note here - crying also relives stress, it is very healthy and good for you, the one thing I really hate about it though is way does your nose run too. Tragic heroine tears are perfectly acceptable and rather awesome - I used to practise these in the mirror as a child.
Unfortunately sniveling, and drippy is gross, but honestly, also low-calorie.

Haynsy said...

How come no subs I ever knew were hot?

And what is the fascination with truffles? Yuk! Give me a Snickers any day.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Okay, do you KNOW who you are talkin' to?! I BLEED chocolate!!! Love this post!

R Allen said...

Chocolate is the universal language of love.

Shelley said...

I just want to add to the "cheering up" like everyone else. So sorry you had a bad moment. I think it is terrible that we are all trying to justify chocolate. AS IF there was any question it would make you feel better. And yes I have to agree with Camille, if Hugh Jackman came in the chocolate well.......EVERYTHING would feel better then!.