Sunday, December 7, 2008

Getting My Just Desserts

This weekend was our ward (church) Christmas party. I was in charge. Somehow I managed to live through it. And I haven't looked at a single blog in three days, not to mention the laundry, dishes, or my children. Sometimes I envy people who get paid by their churches to do this sort of thing - not saying I think we should, just saying wouldn't that be nice.

After three days of non-stop running around, phone-calling, tablecloth-dilemmas, decorating, stressed-out-runs-to-the-store, and general feelings of panic and coordination-anxiety, I would just like to say that it all came together, and was a smashing success.

But my feet still hurt.

And next week I'm going to the other ward's Christmas party, I'm not bringing my children, and I'm going to spend the whole time eating, socializing (since it's not like I don't know most of them anyway) and enjoying myself. And secretly crying because their menu has mashed potatoes instead of scalloped/funeral/yummy style like we did, and I didn't get any, and can't seem to get over it. I was very depressed when I cornered their activities person in the hall today (skipping the last bit of sacrament meeting to do so) and found out this sad, sad, piece of news. I don't even like mashed potatoes - except with cottage cheese, which they obviously won't have. Maybe I should bring my own? Hmmm, a possibility...

But then again, I may come out on top after all, because they're having home-made desserts (we did Costco pies), so there's no telling what kind of yummy things people might show up with.

So next Saturday night, I have a date. With myself - and the entire First Ward. And my husband if I can talk him into coming. (Yeah, the odds on that one aren't so good, so I suggest holding off on the bets). And now, just to prove how exhausted I really am after this whole ordeal, I am going to bed. BEFORE ten-thirty. Without reading a SINGLE blog (although it's extremely tempting). And I can honestly say, I don't remember the last time this combination of early-bedtime/non-blog-reading happened. So have a great week, and send lots of little mind-messages to the ladies in the First Ward to make really delicious desserts, because I deserve it.

(And I'm definitely considering the cottage cheese option - do you think I could keep it hidden in my purse? I'd stuff it down my bra, but somehow I think that might not work so well... Wish me luck!!)

15 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

My heart goes out to you. I did our ward party for two years and was so happy when I was released a year ago. The fact that I would not have to do the party was the first thing that popped into my mind.

And I hope they bring great desserts. Especially that one with the butter/nut/flour crust, then the layer of cream cheese and sugar, then the layer of pudding, I can't really decide whether I like chocolate or lemon best, then the layer of cool whip on the top. If I ever see that dessert, I make sure to elbow my way to the front of the line so as not to miss out. And it is a bummer that the person in charge never gets to eat. What is up with that. I am always to uptight to even think of eating. So kudos to you for pulling the whole thing off, and I am glad that you are going to go and enjoy a party by yourself. Too bad I am not around, I would gladly go with you. Hope you can recover this week and that your feet stop hurting.

Claire said...

I FLIPPIN' LOVE COSTCO PIES!!!!!

Man.... i get gose bumps just thinking about them... yessss....

Barbaloot said...

Cottage cheese and mashed potatoes? That sounds...questionable. I hope you get to fully enjoy a ward party without having to be in charge:)

Camille said...

MMM....can I join you? I've been going around wards with a couple while they do a program and I play the piano...I've had some great dinners. Don't worry about not getting paid, just you wait til you see that mansion in the sky!

evitafjord said...

Is my mom in your ward or First Ward? If she's in First Ward, do you want me to put in any requests for desserts? Oooh, I can spook her out by knowing what's going on in her ward hahahaha.

If you bring cottage cheese, my dad would want some too - I'm pretty sure that's where I got it from. Love it!

Never mind, I had to call her and ask - she's in First Ward, but didn't sign up for dessert. Sorry.

Melissa said...

OOh I love Funeral potatoes too! Hope you have fun at the other Christmas party and good luck sneaking in those potatoes:)

Lost in the Laundry said...

Thought for next year (if you're in charge again): "Season of Service" - Do a Christmas Breakfast (Breakfast burritos and cinnamon rolls and fruit - very simple and yet tasty). Then have each auxiliary be in charge of providing a "service" to do for a member in the ward or community. (ie - RS had quilt tying going for anyone who wanted to participate, Primary made cards for a local nursing home, YW washed and disinfected the Nursery toys, Elders Quorum and YM did a service project of winterizing a widow's home, etc.) We started eating at 8 AM and the building was cleaned and last people out the door by 10:15. Can I say woo-hoo for simplifing the holidays!! It was a great turnout and everyone talked about how much they enjoyed the socializing and serving in a relaxed atmosphere.

Alison Wonderland said...

Cottage cheese?!?! That's disgusting and I may not be able to come here anymore.

Ok, fine I'll still come.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Our party is on Saturday. I'm in charge of decorations. Haven't really given in much thought yet.

Err....

Anonymous said...

Ha HA!! At our catered ward dinner, we had chicken enchiladas and Pork Rellenos and taco salad and Spanish rice and beans and lots and lots and lots of HEARTBURN!!!

And after all that, I couldn't even make a meal of the potluck desserts because it was all CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!

Only 24 days to go!

Kellie said...

mmm...cottage cheese and potatoes. yummy. I say bring your own. You got to make it taste good some how.

Kelly said...

So glad the whole thing went off with a great bang and I am sure it was fantastic! Good luck socializing at 1st wards' party, I am sure it will be very fun, relaxing, and completely rewarding because I really feel for you who take care of the details and can never relax yourselves. It's like constantly being a bridesmaid. Yuck.

Although, YUM for cottage cheese and mashers. Go for it. Or make your own yummy potates and take em.

J. Baxter said...

Just a few thoughts:

1. Mashed potatoes and cheddar is good, so why do people always diss the cottage? It gets just as cheesy and melty as other cheese!

2. CATERED???!! That is SO not fair!

3. It is EXACTLY like being a bridesmaid.

LisAway said...

I know, catering a ward party should TOTALLY be against the law. Or there should be a law that they HAVE TO be catered. Maybe that's more what we're looking for, here? :)

I'm giving you an award today, FYI!

Stephanie said...

I was thinking 2 things...cottage cheese and mashed potatoes sounds a lot gross, even though I like them both. Email me your recipe and I'll give it a try. Next, you are going to 2 ward parties? I can barely get my husband to get excited about our ward party, let alone another wards' ward party. Have fun!